Old June 3rd 19, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Class 345

In message , at 16:06:20
on Mon, 3 Jun 2019, David Cantrell remarked:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 04:10:15AM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

Just like people can't place an irrelevant little town (with a similarly
important role as a railway junction/terminus) in Wiltshire called
Westbury?