Old June 4th 19, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Class 345

On 04/06/2019 12:18, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:40:51 on Tue, 4 Jun
2019, Bryan Morris remarked:

I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going
East from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone,
Woodford Green and Woodford.

Back in the day, Straford was were people regarded London as starting.
Perhaps because while still in Essex (until 1965) it was a County
Borough and hence felt more like a part of what was to become Greater
London, than its neighbour Ilford which was merely an Urban District
under the wing of Essex County Council.

Post 1965, for a while many people still thought of Romford as a market
town in Essex, although the continuous built up area as far as the Green
Belt (Harold Wood) tended to reinforce the perception it was thoroughly
London.

Brentwood is interesting, because while still in Essex, it became
simultaneously the "first place in Essex" for people looking outwards,
but "the start of London" for people looking inwards.

Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.

I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.