Old June 21st 04, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Just zis Guy, you know? Just zis Guy, you know? is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:42:13 +0100, "Grant Mason"
wrote in message :

Er, actually ABS doesn't really affect stopping distances.

Yes it does.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca...99-01-1287.pdf
"For most stopping maneuvers, made on most test surfaces, ABS-assisted panic
stops were found to be shorter than those made with best effort or full
pedal applications with the ABS disabled"

Because people don't know how to brake. But the statement was overly
simplistic, of course.

ABS does not increase the power of the brakes, and does not increase
the coefficient of friction. All it does is make it less likely that
the driver will lock the wheels.

Which, to a first approximation, is the same thing as "doesn't stop
you quicker" - letting people believe that ABS stops you quicker is
Not Smart in my view because in the end it doesn't affect the two main
factors in stopping you.

Actually the grip on my current car is so good that I haven't managed
to trigger the ABS yet, even when I've tried.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk