Old June 19th 19, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Latest Heathrow master plan

On 19/06/2019 11:05, tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 18/06/2019 20:02, JNugent wrote:
On 18/06/2019 18:24, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 18/06/2019 09:52, Recliner wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48668001

Total waste of time. A far better plan would have been a second
runway
at Gatwick.

...or a new terminal and a few road improvements - and maybe a rail
spur - at Manston.

I think the extra runway is to steal the intercontinental passengers
who
are currently transferring at Schiphol,

exactly

a lot of upheaval so that a private company can get rich

with little benefit to the rest of UK PLC

This comes up regularly here. In fact, the expansion of a hub airport
means
that it can sustain direct flights to more secondary destinations than if
it only relies on O&D business,

Yes we've heard it all before

1) London is such a prime source/destination I don't believe that we
need transfer passengers to sustain such links

2) I would bet you that once this runway is built, next to no new
destinations will open up.Â* All that will happen is that we get twice as
many flights to New York (etc).

What are you betting?

If you follow the BA schedule changes you'll note that enough
destinations come and go - somewhat due to whether those destinations
are economic but also due to slot constraints.

For example BA flew to Tallinn for a couple of years and those flights
were generally very full and I'm sure profitable, but it was dropped for
another destination because it could be even more profitable - that
sounds like slot constraints to me.