Old June 20th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jeremy Parker Jeremy Parker is offline

Default Bushey gap

"David Splett" wrote in message
"John Rowland" wrote in

message
According to the OS 1:25000 map, there is a stretch of

undeveloped
land by Larken drive at TQ 142 942. It is perfectly straight and

runs
both sides of Sparrows Herne (the A411). Is it connected with the
abortive Northern Line extension? Or maybe it was a planned route

for
the M25?

In the Abercrombie Plan for the London region, issued about 1944,
London was to have had five ring roads. The A Ring became the Euston
Rd etc, the B ring, the infamous Motoway Box, the C Ring, the North
Circular. Now there is also the M25, and the North Orbital Road.
The M25 is sort of like the E ring, although between Potters Bar and
Waltham Cross it's more like the D ring.

I don't think any of the five rings were planned to motorway
standard. The E Ring was to have been a scenic rural parkway through
the Green Belt.

I'm not sure exactly where the D Ring was originally planned to go,
but know that a little bit east of Bushey it was planned to go along
the top edge of the Borehamwood built up area. The gap might have
been for the D ring.

The D Ring looked as if it would have gone across just about every
golf course in suburbia. I can't think why they never built it.

Jeremy Parker