Old June 24th 19, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Cockfosters depot WW2 pillbox

On 24/06/2019 13:41, Recliner wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 20:46:45 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

On 23/06/2019 18:27, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 23/06/2019 18:21, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 23/06/2019 18:17, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 23/06/2019 13:44, wrote:
Saw this as I took a rare trip up to cockfosters today, never
noticed it
before - must have been behind vegetation. There's very little about in
online other than it was meant to defend the depot. I'm no military
expert
but I can't really see what its purpose would have been. If the germans
had got to cockfosters then it would have been game over for the
tube and
probably the country so what was the point?

Anyway here's a google maps link:

https://goo.gl/maps/i4A26d931KctSoVy7

That looks like Type 27, with the hole in the middle for an
anti-aircraft gun. Would that perhaps have been useful in context?

Also, is it close enough to the POW interrogation site at Trent Park
to perhaps be linked to activities there?

Unlikely, the committee that decided where to position such things
wouldn't have known about interrogation sites. An anti-aircraft site to
protect the depot is more likely

Presumably someone would have known it was being used for some kind of
military purpose (if it was at the time).

Military sites were hardly uncommon during the War!

in 1940 the whole of the south of England was a military site.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.