Old June 25th 19, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Cockfosters depot WW2 pillbox

Guy Gorton wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 18:17:42 +0100, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

On 23/06/2019 13:44, wrote:
Saw this as I took a rare trip up to cockfosters today, never noticed it
before - must have been behind vegetation. There's very little about in
online other than it was meant to defend the depot. I'm no military expert
but I can't really see what its purpose would have been. If the germans
had got to cockfosters then it would have been game over for the tube and
probably the country so what was the point?

Anyway here's a google maps link:

https://goo.gl/maps/i4A26d931KctSoVy7

That looks like Type 27, with the hole in the middle for an
anti-aircraft gun. Would that perhaps have been useful in context?

Certainly some sort of gun emplacement. It is not a pillbox (one
still in existence by the Thames at Gatehampton Bridge attached).

Guy,

This isn't a binary group, so most people won't have seen your bridge photo
attachment, which isn't permitted in text-only groups. You need to provide
a link to the photo hosted on a web site.