Old July 1st 19, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default London pollution monitoring

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:02:50 on Sun, 30 Jun
2019,
tim... remarked:

Even when I do select neutral I rarely put the hand brake on if the
road
is flat. what's the point?

So you don't get pushed into whatever's in front, when someone
rear-ends

and how often does that happen

once in a million

It's still good practice. I put my car in Park at traffic lights.

An automatic?

Aren't there different considerations there?

Why? It effectively puts the car in neutral and applies the brake, just
what I want.

there you go then

it applies the brake

the same thing doesn't happen in a manual, so any discussions about whether
it is actually *necessary* to apply the brake with a manual can't be
compared with what an auto does

No need
to use either foot or hand brake.

as I said, on level ground, Neutral works just as well

And as Roland correctly said, it's less safe.

for a tiny possibility

You should always have a
brake on when stationary.

so you say