Old July 1st 19, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default Cockfosters depot WW2 pillbox

On 23/06/2019 13:44, wrote:
Saw this as I took a rare trip up to cockfosters today, never noticed it
before - must have been behind vegetation. There's very little about in
online other than it was meant to defend the depot. I'm no military expert
but I can't really see what its purpose would have been. If the germans
had got to cockfosters then it would have been game over for the tube and
probably the country so what was the point?

Anyway here's a google maps link:

https://goo.gl/maps/i4A26d931KctSoVy7

I doubt that it was railway-related. There were many pillboxes nearby,
forming part of a defensive ring around London. Tank traps, too. There
were three in nearby Trent Park, alone. The one you've seen's only
railway link is probably that, because it is surrounded by railway
tracks, it hasn't been demolished !

PA