Old June 21st 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Velvet Velvet is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Velvet wrote:

Er, actually ABS doesn't really affect stopping distances. It allows
you to steer while braking.

Not convinced by this :-)

It is simplistic, of course; the reality is that given perfect braking
technique a driver can stop at least as quickly in a non-ABS car; ABS makes
no difference to the grip of the tyres or the power of the brakes. A really
expert driver can theoretically stop shorter in a non-ABS car, because ABS
senses wheel slip, while a really expert driver won't allow that to happen.
In practice few drivers have perfect braking technique, but as previously
posted, on a dry road it is close to impossible to get the ABS even to cut
in on my car - it grips too well. So, ABS prevents some skids due to poor
braking technique, and allows steering while braking with less risk of loss
of control, but it doesn't really improve the braking performance of the
car.

It's also a mistake to rely on it in ice or on gravel. If all wheels lock,
the ABS thinks you've stopped and cuts out. Don't try this at home!

So, it's important not to think (or to allow people to think) "ABS stops you
quicker", because (a) technically it doesn't and (b) relying on that for
safety margin is a Very Bad Idea.

I think we're kindof in agreement here. My point was that people aren't
all that likely to be braking as well as ABS would if you apply it
properly - people (myself included) either tend to overbrake (and skid
if no abs) or underbrake (abs or no, they'll not stop as fast as if they
overbraked with abs).

I've braked on ice with ABS - it was interesting and I'm glad I did it
gently. Stopped car from sliding but took a VERY long time to stop the
car. On the other hand, braked once on snow and had to do a very
abs-like recovery of it to stop in time (downhill on snow toward T
junction).

I know if I tromp on my brakes then I'll stop quicker than if I brake
with no ABS, because I tend to the underbrake not overbrake to avoid the
skid. Ergo, for me, ABS *will* mean I'll stop in a shorter distance.

I don't drive any closer (or further away, it has to be said) than
pre-ABS. Some of my cars have had it, some haven't. I've only once had
to tromp on the brakes and could have done with ABS (I didn't lock the
wheels so probably underbraked, with ABS I'm much more willing to tromp
very hard since I know it'll help prevent the skid) - but given I've
never actually needed to, it's not changed the way I drive - I don't
think the ABS will save me, cos actually I've no idea if it would in any
given situation or not, and I'm not *really* all that keen on seeking
out instances when I'll find out...
--

Velvet