Old July 16th 19, 12:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Dual SIM phones was:Worker killed by Southern train was coveringfor brother

On 14/07/2019 14:23, Clank wrote:
"tim..." Wrote in message:
Engineers didn't like creating designs for these ever smaller SIMs. It was a real PITA.
But it was what Marketing wanted

Nonsense! We wanted to create smaller, better, cooler handsets
just as much as "marketing" - and the ridiculous credit-card
sized SIM was a major barrier to that.

whereupon inserting the SIM was changed to require removing the
IIRC for the the phone that I had that took a full credit card size SIM you still had to fit it in under the battery

Indeed, and this was always a feature rather than a bug - it meant
we could confidently design the software stack to assume the SIM
it booted up with would never change (for as long as it was
running.) This mattered when you were coding for a 68k
derivative with memory measured in peanuts, and every byte
counted...

Which was a mistake as SIMs can be changed in other ways that doesn't
involve physically changing the SIMs...