Old July 17th 19, 04:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Clank Clank is offline

Default Dual SIM phones was:Worker killed by Southern train wascovering for brother

Recliner Wrote in message:
And if they're not available, it's easy
to carry a small power bank separately in a bag.

Except at some plane stations as I discovered last year

The normal rule is that you can carry one small power bank in a carry-on
bag, but none in checked-in luggage. But after the recent fire on board a
Virgin plane, perhaps that will be tightened up?

IMX, they're not very strict about that - I have two very slim
batteries that are always tucked into my little leather messenger
bag that's always with me when I'm travelling (has my passport,
headphones, Iqos e-cigarette etc.), and another small one that's
in the "plugs and cables" bag that's in my trolleybag, and I've
never been prevented taking all three onboard.

(And not because they don't notice - on Sunday I transferred into
a domestic flight at Beijing and the famously strict Chinese
security staff noticed the battery in that latter bag in my
suitcase - I'd entirely forgotten it, having already declared the
two in my shoulder bag (Chinese regulations demand all batteries
are declared and individually inspected.) They just passed it
through the x-ray again and sent me on my way with all
three.)

As it was, despite being a tedious 26-hour voyage to get here
(storms closed Beijing airport on Saturday night, so quite a lot
of that was spent sitting on the tarmac at an alternate waiting
for the storms to pass (and to refuel)) , I haven't actually used
any of those batteries yet - as is usually the case these days,
even the fairly terrible Ukraine International can manage to fit
USB charging ports on their aircraft, so I had no need. Thank
the Lord I loaded my phone up with Netflix downloads before
leaving, though...

(When I finally arrived domestic airside at Beijing and missed my
connection, I'm delighted to say that I had no trouble at all
using my mobile boarding pass at the customer service desk to get
a seat on the next flight. This is remarkable for two reasons -
firstly that it's the first time I've ever been able to check in
online to a Chinese domestic flight at all, the requirement to
have a Chinese ID number finally having been dispensed with, and
secondly that I didn't actually have a through ticket, so they'd
have been entirely within their rights to make me buy a new one
for the next flight with seats on sale. So China Southern
Airlines deserve a shout out for excellent customer
service.)