Old June 21st 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Just zis Guy, you know? Just zis Guy, you know? is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:57:44 GMT, Velvet
wrote in message :

I think we're kindof in agreement here. My point was that people aren't
all that likely to be braking as well as ABS would if you apply it
properly - people (myself included) either tend to overbrake (and skid
if no abs) or underbrake (abs or no, they'll not stop as fast as if they
overbraked with abs).

Indeed. That was my point: what ABS is doing is compensating for poor
technique, not helping you "stop quicker".

I don't drive any closer (or further away, it has to be said) than
pre-ABS.

You think. But on average, people do. That's what risk compensation
is about. It's pretty widespread - see Tony's comment re "childproof"
containers above.

Or read Risk - it's very interesting.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk