Old July 18th 19, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Dual SIM phones was:Worker killed by Southern train wascovering for brother

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 18/07/2019 20:26, Recliner wrote:

It's unusual for a land line package to include unlimited calls, 24x7, to
both land lines and mobiles. Conversely, even quite cheap mobile packages
(eg, £7pm) include generous (eg, 1500) numbers of minutes, 24x7, to both
land lines and mobiles.

We're with Sky for FTTC broadband and landline (no TV). Monthly rate is
£35 all in, although I have to admit that was a 'negotiated' rate after
we threatened to leave ;-)

Who is the £7 a month with..?

Virgin (which uses the EE network):
https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim

The cheapest mobile contract I can
immediately find just looking quickly was £10 with Three, for two of us
that's £20. Given that we *need* a landline to get broadband, it's a
no-brainer.

Luckily I no longer need an Openreach phone line to get broadband, and no,
I don't use VM. And my speeds are now much higher, particularly for upload:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/48256450187/in/dateposted/

Also, Three is a lousy signal around here anyway, so there
is little or no chance of using mobile broadband (my experience of it
even in good signal areas is patchy, so zero chance of video streaming etc.)

Yes, it's very location dependent.

What do these people with no landlines *do* for their broadband..? They
haven't *all* got VM - even if we wanted that we couldn't have it, as
they don't serve this area and AFAIK have no immediate plans to. And as
I said, mobile broadband in my experience anyway isn't exactly speedy.

They probably just use mobile data on their phones if out of WiFi range.