Old June 21st 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Just zis Guy, you know? Just zis Guy, you know? is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:55:05 GMT, Velvet
wrote in message :

Whether it compensates for my technique or not is immaterial, in the
same given circumstance, with ABS I will stop quicker, in a shorter
distance, than without ABS.

If you want to continue believing that "ABS stops you quicker" then be
my guest. But I refuse to indemnify you against any damage which may
result.

Angels dancing on the head of a pin notwithstanding, that is /not/
what it's designed for. Assuming that it is, will end in tears. As
the studies prove.

If I remembered I actually had ABS more than once a few months then I
might believe I drive closer/faster. But given I don't, I doubt it has
any affect. To be honest, since I've never been in a situation where
tromping the brakes has actually activated the ABS, it seems likely that
I'm not compensating for the percieved increase in safety.

So you say - now...

read Risk - it's very interesting.

I'm sure it's fascinating :-)

It is. Genuinely.