Old July 20th 19, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default 4G on the tube

In message , at 20:39:40 on Fri, 19 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:02:37 on Fri, 19 Jul
2019, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:

the kit will be installed by a third party,

It's hardly likely to be done by TfL themselves. No budget for that kind
of thing, or something would have happened years ago.

I meant that the equipment will be installed by a company other than the
networks or TfL.

Sounds like it'll be someone like Ericsson who are betting on getting
more than EE as a customer.

But we know networks already lease some of their infrastructure from
such organisations, so this is not a great surprise. Look on it more
like TfL providing a wayleave for their tunnels (rather than a tall
building renting out some roof-space).

They also share it (so at last one of the partners didn't install it
themselves). See RAN sharing:

https://www.gsma.com/publicpolicy/wp...012/09/Mobile-
Infrastructure-sharing.pdf

who then charges mobile phone operators to use it, and shares the
profits with TfL. There's no suggestion that only one operator will
have access.

"Although the UK’s four mobile phone networks are is still in
negotiations about accessing the new equipment in London's tube
tunnels, TfL expects that customer demand will ensure they all
provide services on the move."

Well, EE is going to, but are-is(sic, well it is the Grauniad) the other
three going to follow suit. Who will blink first over the cost.

Where does it say that EE is committed to providing access? I could see no
mention of it.

Why wouldn't they, when they've got a contract with the Home Office
which requires them to provide EE coverage for the emergency services.
Their business proposition for wider public coverage than other networks
is based very heavily on the extra infrastructure required for the
emergency services contract.