Old June 21st 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Velvet Velvet is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:55:05 GMT, Velvet
wrote in message :

Whether it compensates for my technique or not is immaterial, in the
same given circumstance, with ABS I will stop quicker, in a shorter
distance, than without ABS.

If you want to continue believing that "ABS stops you quicker" then be
my guest. But I refuse to indemnify you against any damage which may
result.

Look, I've explained how ABS could stop ME quicker, you'll note I've not
said it'll stop EVERYONE quicker.

Perhaps you overlooked that subtle point?

Angels dancing on the head of a pin notwithstanding, that is /not/
what it's designed for. Assuming that it is, will end in tears. As
the studies prove.

If I ever have cause to test it in that sort of situation then I'll find
out, won't I, one way or t'other.

If I remembered I actually had ABS more than once a few months then I
might believe I drive closer/faster. But given I don't, I doubt it has
any affect. To be honest, since I've never been in a situation where
tromping the brakes has actually activated the ABS, it seems likely that
I'm not compensating for the percieved increase in safety.

So you say - now...

read Risk - it's very interesting.

I'm sure it's fascinating :-)

It is. Genuinely.