Old July 20th 19, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Clank Clank is offline

Default Dual SIM phones was:Worker killed by Southern train wascovering for brother

MissRiaElaine Wrote in message:
On 19/07/2019 00:21, Recliner wrote:
One of the current major advantages of mobile contracts is that your
monthly allowances can be used anywhere in the EU. So if you travel
frequently to EU countries, as I do, those included mobile minutes, texts
and data are more useful than any land line equivalents.

That's not unique to a contract though - I use a PAYG SIM at home
in Romania (because, well, why not - for a ?10 top-up a month I
get 20GB data with 150Mb/s download, and I can't see why a
contract would make life easier, since I do the top ups with
about two taps on an app) and I have free EU Roaming from that
allowance. (I believe if you top up less than ?10/month EU data
roaming is blocked though.)

I do keep an old UK number on a 30-day Vodafone contract, but not
for use in Europe because it only has a measly 2GB allowance for
about 16 quid a month - but it does have a handy "Roam Further"
feature where for a flat 6 quid a day I can use that allowance
worldwide. Very handy if stopping over in a country where buying
a SIM is too much hassle, or if I'm just not hanging around there
long enough to matter. Also handy in China where it's an easy
way round the Great Firewall without faffing around with
VPNs.

(As for landlines - I don't even have one, and haven't for years.
I have to assume there is some capability for plugging a phone
into my home cable connection but I've never tried it - and if I
have a number it's news to me. Even when I lived in the UK the
landline was the exclusive purvey of junk callers.)