Old July 21st 19, 09:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Arthur Conan Doyle Arthur Conan Doyle is offline

Default Dual SIM phones was:Worker killed by Southern train was covering

wrote:

If the number belongs to a real network not a virtual one, what are the
other costs then? Unless its used up its entire allocation of numbers it
won't be losing any money so tell me what I've missed.

Knowing something about accounting at large public firms, I suspect there is an
allocation of fixed costs made to each active number. Metrics used to judge
mobile companies are things like revenue per line, revenue per subscriber and
profit margin per subscriber/line.

While allocation of fixed costs may look arbintrary, there are industry
standards involved that make coming up with an alternate allocation difficult.

In other words, it's not so much the cost of each number, it's the allocation of
costs that exist regardless of the quantity of numbers.That said, it wouldn't
surprise me if there were actual costs associated numbers, regardless of account
type of use. I'm thinking things like payments to Ofcom, line leasing from
OpenReach, etc.