Old August 1st 19, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MissRiaElaine MissRiaElaine is offline

Default 4G on the tube

On Thu 01/08/2019 07:08, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:20:32 on Wed, 31 Jul
2019, remarked:

It's also going to be a total waste of time and money. Tetra just
worked, why change it..?

I think the problem is it's proprietary, and rather old. Replacing worn

Not that old in radio terms. Plod was still using motorola analogue
trunking
systems only 15 years ago - I used to listen to them on a scanner.
Tetra is
a lot newer than DAB!

The equipment's old, not the technology (although most would agree it's
no-longer-fit-for-purpose old.

The push for ever-more-complicated "digital" stuff is to me totally
unnecessary. Call me old school, but I've always believed in the "If it
ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. In my last job before I retired
we used Band 3 MPT1327 trunked radios. They performed far better than
any digital systems I've seen.