Old September 1st 19, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

Shouting TUBE like a loud mouthed toddler doesn’t negate that in the past
the map has been known as the UndergrounD. map and further back it has also
carried the legend Railways, Diagram of Lines.

Examples of both in these links to current ebay sales

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tube-map-...-/113868840132

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-L...-/183874190840

So using the maps and what they are titled isn’t really a good indication
of what the network was popularly known as at any one time as saying “ I’m
going to take the London Electric Railways “ would be a bit of a mouthful.”

My London relatives who were around from the 1920’s generally called it the
UndergrounD and I of 1950’s
vintage and generally still do. Tube which has equally been around since
the early 20th century since it it started as a catchy marketing title was
generally thought to be the the deeper bored lines.
The distinction between the two seems have become blurred from about
the1970’s- 1980’s and has now become official.

The same period has seen many use Train Station instead of Railway
Station.,neither are wrong it is just the way our language evolves .

GM