Old September 1st 19, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

On 01/09/2019 16:11, Recliner wrote:
Peter Able wrote:
On 01/09/2019 15:32, Recliner wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 14:05:50 +0100, Peter Able wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT. That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

LU, surely? LT includes more than the Underground.

Not 50 years ago

Was LT only the Underground back then? I thought it included the buses. If
not, what was the umbrella organisation called?

- and as I explained (shame on you for quoting
selectively)

But I didn't. I quoted your whole post. Shame on you for thinking I'm
Roland!

it strengthened morale and never led to ambiguity. LU
sounds like where that morale got flushed down by the "image fetishists"
I never remember seeing an intending rail passenger waiting for that
train at a bus stop - or vice-versa.

Of course, that doesn't mean it never happened...

Yes, but that was not my latest post on the matter in that part of the
thread - 20 minutes earl1er than yours. Nevertheless, you've cut me to
the quick to think that I might have appeared to be be comparing anyone
to that augusty gentleman. My abject apologies.

And my earlier point was that LT did cover the whole field - preserving
the idea of a co-ordinated system - and giving the staff the idea that
here was a for-the-benefit-of-the-public service. Incidentally, as an
old-style conservative I was a bit shocked at first that the unions
seemed to have their foot so firmly on the windpipe of the LT
management. I soon found out, across the several LT premises that I
visited, that the the unions had a very strong management code for the
bruvvas - and sistas - who were thought to be swinging the lead.

A sort of "On The Waterfront" on wheels !

PA