Old September 1st 19, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 01/09/2019 10:57, Marland wrote:

So using the maps and what they are titled isn’t really a good indication
of what the network was popularly known as at any one time as saying “ I’m
going to take the London Electric Railways “ would be a bit of a mouthful.”

My London relatives who were around from the 1920’s generally called it the
UndergrounD and I of 1950’s
vintage and generally still do. Tube which has equally been around since
the early 20th century since it it started as a catchy marketing title was
generally thought to be the the deeper bored lines.
The distinction between the two seems have become blurred from about
the1970’s- 1980’s and has now become official.

The same period has seen many use Train Station instead of Railway
Station.,neither are wrong it is just the way our language evolves .

I spent 15+ years working for British Rail, not British Trains. It will
always be a railway station as far as I'm concerned.

Officially were you not working for British Railways?

British Rail is just as much a fashion change albeit a 1960’s one for
publicity purposes
as Underground being changed to Tube for similar reasons more recently.

Train station is an Americanism. Next you'll be wanting me to drop the u
from colour, armour and similar words. No thanks.

I suppose you can claim they are a few miles closer but would you want to
tell some of the inhabitants of Northern Ireland with their notoriously
quick temper that their railway system is wrong to use an Americanism.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ozCeMHXXvBCw4WWs9

Anyhow if it wasn’t for American influence the Underground would not have
developed in the way in it did.
Do you object to them calling the vehicles cars instead of coaches for
instance.

GH