Old September 1st 19, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

On 01/09/2019 18:45, Marland wrote:
Peter Able wrote:
On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT. That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

PA

50 years ago was 1969 which seems horribly recent with many of the
interesting parts of LT already fading away like Q stock with only a couple
of years left in service. When was it they replaced the gold coloured
legend London Transport on the side of the cars with a plain white roundel
and changed the shade of red from train red to bus red on the remaining
stock that wore it? It never seemed quite the same after that happened .
Didn’t some of the silver stock lose the London Transport name in Red
Letters having it replaced by the plain title UndergrounD .
50 years back from 1969 takes us to 1919 so it is likely that when you
joined a few old hands were still
knashing their dentures at the take over by the LPTB in 1933 and still in
their mind were working for the Combine.

GH

The past is a foreign country... All sorts of mixtures of the various Q
stock in a unit. Pre-decimal currency and the sheer weight of cash-up
bags; old guys with their fingerprints just about erased by
aforementioned currency; old guys with their hands irretrievably
blackened; old, old passengers with their special life-long passes -
leather and metal - presumably from pre-LPTB rights; no sign of the
white roundels; occasional use of old wooden ticket "wickets" on the
buses; jobs for life.

PA