Old June 22nd 04, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
David Martin David Martin is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On 21/6/04 6:57 pm, in article
, "Velvet"
wrote:

I've braked on ice with ABS - it was interesting and I'm glad I did it
gently. Stopped car from sliding but took a VERY long time to stop the
car. On the other hand, braked once on snow and had to do a very
abs-like recovery of it to stop in time (downhill on snow toward T
junction).

Snow and ice are like that. Very slippery, ABS or not.

I used to live in Norway and even with winter tyres would still take a long
time to stop. In some situations it is so slippery ABS won't help. In
general though I do a brake test and see how long it takes to stop. Despite
being a very cautious driver (I'm the one who enjoys the open road ahead of
them..) I almost always ended up slowing down further.

Having proper winter tyres on the bike is also a lot of fun. Normal tyres
will just slide on black ice.. studded tyres are absolutely fantastic. I've
towed the trailer up a 1 in 10 hill on sheet ice. Kind of mind blowing when
you can hardly walk up the hill.

...d