Old June 22nd 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
David Martin David Martin is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On 21/6/04 10:23 pm, in article , "taywood"
wrote:

But is there a proven alternative to speed bumps, round or
flat tops, and the raised platforms our Council are fitting at
each minor road junction?

Impound speeding cars for a day per % over the speed limit (after some
arbitrary cutoff like 5mph). That'll soon prevent speeding. Combine that
with concealed cameras.

Priority to the left in residential streets (as per the continent).

Both these two would make the roads much safer in built up areas

(and scrap the speed bumps).

...d