Old September 2nd 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 01/09/2019 12:44, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 01/09/2019 10:57, Marland wrote:

So using the maps and what they are titled isn’t really a good indication
of what the network was popularly known as at any one time as saying “
I’m
going to take the London Electric Railways “ would be a bit of a
mouthful.”

My London relatives who were around from the 1920’s generally called
it the
UndergrounD and I of 1950’s
vintage** and generally still do.* Tube which has equally been around
since
the early 20th century since it it started as a catchy marketing title
was
generally thought to be the the deeper bored lines.
The distinction between the two seems have become blurred from about
the1970’s- 1980’s and has now become official.

The same period has seen many use Train Station instead of Railway
Station.,neither are wrong it is just the way* our language evolves .

I spent 15+ years working for British Rail, not British Trains. It will
always be a railway station as far as I'm concerned.

Train station is an Americanism. Next you'll be wanting me to drop the u
from colour, armour and similar words. No thanks.

Actually train station appears to be a tabloidism, railroad stations
and/or depots seem to be the preferred nomenclature across the pond.

Both Amtrak and VIA Rail disagree with you, they both consistently use
“train station” (or “gare”) in all of their publicity material.

Robin