Old September 2nd 19, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

Graham Harrison wrote:

And it is not a recent innovation that we have had double deck deck
coaches in the UK,National Express were using them decades ago , stopped
using them after an accident and reintroduced a small number a few years
back.

Ribble/Standerwick were running double deck Atlanteans under the name
"Gay Hostess" back in the 1960s
https://www.rvpt.co.uk/gay-hostess-25/. I can't find a cite but I seem
to recall this was before the 70 limit on the motorways and there were
stories about higher than 70 speeds being attained.

The one coach that I remember that was designed for Motorway work at speeds
higher than permitted now were the ones built by Midland Red for thier
Motorway express service on the newly constructed M1 which were also
amongst the first to have a toilet.

I was too young to knowingly see the real thing but was given a Corgi toy
one at the time.

https://images.app.goo.gl/86BPud8euFEE5rXm9

GH