Old June 22nd 04, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Gearboxes (was Routemasters in Niagara Falls)

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message ws.com...
As recent as 1968? I thought all cars had synchromesh on all gears except
sometimes first and reverse (where it's less important, as you're unlikely
to want to engage first or reverse while moving) long before that.

Actually being able to engage first when moving can be useful sometimes. I
remember an old Opel I had that had abysmal braking in snow but to get it
to stop quicker , shove it in reverse and give it a bit of welly Obviously
this could only be done at low speeds ( 20mph) or serious control issues would
ensue but it was damn useful on a couple of occasions.

Why do rally-drivers use clutchless gearchanges? Is it quicker (ie less time

AFAIK they all have sequential boxes these days like motorbikes so they
wouldn't need to use the clutch apart from when moving off.

B2003