Old September 11th 19, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Electric Shapps

In message , at 10:38:07 on Wed,
11 Sep 2019, Theo remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:16:21 on Tue, 10 Sep
2019, Recliner remarked:
And I think you're typical of most garage owners. In any case, many modern
cars are simply too wide to fit comfortably in a traditional British
garage.

But, of course, if you have an integral garage, you probably have space to
park a BEV and somewhere to mount a charger box.

Not in many modern developments such as this one typical of the newer
housing being built in and around Cambridge:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZVkwF8yevgVPVWwx5

Those garages aren't fit for purpose, because you couldn't fit a modern car
in them, and presumably the owners don't get anywhere else to put one.
They're essentially covered bike-and-junk shelters.

But we are where we are. And while those garages will be counted in the
stats being bandied about "40% have garages", I tend to agree they don't
in practice facilitate the charging of electric vehicles at all.

I remember going to view a 1930's house a few years ago and the estate
agent was driving an Audi TT, which he had parked on the drive outside
the garage. It was obvious at a glance that the car was wider than the
garage doors, let alone had it just fitted there being any prospect of
opening the car door.

Other developments at least admit that cars are parked outside these days:
https://goo.gl/maps/bpbaVTgDTCAJKpNA6
and charging here would be fine.

You wouldn't get much more than a Smart Car there, without obstructing
the pavement.

(although I don't know if there's a covenant about putting extra stuff on
the front of your house)

I've only seen covenants about satellite dishes, but if people invent
suitably ugly charging points, developers might catch on and start
banning them too.