Old September 11th 19, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Electric Shapps

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:48:57 on Tue, 10 Sep 2019,
tim... remarked:
There are lots of people who can't easily have an electric car, they
include my parents who live in a street of Victorian terraces with
narrow pavement. However I think more than half the population could
charge at home.

So what do the other half do..?

Something else. There doesn't need to be one solution for everyone.

but the solution isn't in the hands of individual - I can't just decide to
have a charge point connected to the local street lamppost

No-one can because the street lights are on circuits not much bigger than
a 13A ring main, Separate from the supply to premises. Unless the premises
supply is on overhead wires (typically rural areas), when there's a whole
other set of constraints in the overall amperage.

HMG has to facilitate it (even if they don't directly provide it)

County Councils provide the street lighting.

not where I live they don't :-)

But it isn't important

The issue is one of finding the money to pay for it

not which tier of government actually digs up the pevement.

and even if it's funded by commercial organisations recouping their
expenditure from pay per use, they have to have the certainty that HMG has
set a level playing field for them to work on

tim