Old September 11th 19, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sammi Gray-Jones Sammi Gray-Jones is offline

Default Northern Line goes south

On 10/09/2019 23:51, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/09/2019 20:21, Recliner wrote:
Sammi Gray-Jones wrote:

And as you rightly point out it's now 0-62.5mph, still in miles per
hour. Not 0-100 kph.

It's quoted that way for the benefit of ignorant Brits, but what they
actually measure is 0-100 km/h. Many cars are limited to 250 km/h,
described as '155 mph' for ignorant Brits.

Excuse me, but I take exception to that. I'm British (not "a Brit"
please, I'm not American either) and I use imperial measurements. I do
so because I was brought up with them and I'm used to them. I fail to
see why I should be forced to use the metric system. Why can't both be
used..? I still struggle to understand the weather forecasts when
temperatures are only quoted in degrees C.

The country went metric decades ago. Temperatures, whether body or
atmospheric, need only be quoted in ºC. Water boils at 100º, not 212º, and
freezes at zero, not -32º. It's hot, not cold, when the temperature hits
30º. We use metric tonnes, not short or long tons. Our car engine sizes are
quoted in litres, not cubic inches. Races are run over hundred(s) of
metres, not yards.

Yes, many of us were brought up with quaint imperial measures, but it's
easy to adapt. I still remember my height in ft and inches, as that's what
we used when it was last measured (when I was a teenager), but I know my
weight in kg.

Our neighbours in Ireland had no trouble adapting, so why do some Brit[on]s
(if you insist) still think we're in the 1970?

As I said before I spent three years in Germany using the metric
measurements, which I had to convert in my head into miles so that I
could understand them. I couldn't wait to get back to the UK and use
miles again. As to my weight I could probably tell you what it is in kg,
but to me that's a meaningless number and I need to change into stones
and pounds. When cooking I use imperial measurements throughout. As to
the fact that the Irish have found it easy to adapt to metrication, have
you *asked* them all.? I'm sure that there are some like me who have to
convert metric to imperial before they understand it.