Old September 11th 19, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Electric Shapps

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:16:11 on Wed, 11 Sep 2019,
tim... remarked:

County Councils provide the street lighting.

not where I live they don't :-)

Unitary Authority?

or London Borough, City of London or Westminster,

If those are equivalent in the distribution of civic responsibilities to
a unitary authority, then they come into the same basket.

weird isn't it

London Boroughs are technically different to Unitaries but actually
identical

I suppose more things have been given to the Mayor to look after, but I
don't think that was the case when they were first set up

I remember the LCC (London County Council)

how far back are you going?

I lived there through my childhood and it predates my remembering

The (current) boroughs were created in 1965 (I can't remember that either)
and at (more or less) the same date the GLC was created.

Inner London borough education was under the auspices of ILEA, outer
boroughs certainly had control of education in 71 when I got ****ed by the
system.

GLC was abolished in 86 when (presumably) the functions (except inner London
education and transport) moved down to the boroughs. Bus/underground must
have remained being controlled by a now autonomous London Transport
(certainly the daily bus pass worked within the whole "GLC" area). I don't
think that there was a strategy London Roads Authority (perhaps it was still
DpT responsibility).

ILEA was abolished in 1990 when inner boroughs took over in their area.

The London assembly and (new) Mayor were created in 2000 when strategic
items all moved back again Education remaining with the boroughs.

So (apart from busses/underground) London Boroughs looked like any other
Unitary Authority from 1986 to 2000.

HTH

tim

which was a precursor to the
GLA. Perhaps they did education - like other real counties, whereas now
the Boroughs do?