Old September 25th 19, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Pointless footbridge in Poplar

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:02:58 on Mon, 23
Sep 2019, Robin9 remarked:
My guess is that originally the pavement stopped where the traffic
light
is situated and that a footbridge over the A102 was constructed. I also
guess that at some stage TfL decided to move the bus stop a few yards
west of the traffic light to give buses an advantage over traffic held
by red signals. (typical TfL) and that as part and parcel of that they
extended the pavement, making the footbridge redundant.

And it's no doubt cheaper to just leave it there, than demolish it.

I imagine not having to annoy 100,000 motorists by closing the road whilst
they do it, ranks higher than the cost

tim