Old October 11th 19, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Heathrow CC

On 11/10/2019 20:34, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:52:05 on Fri, 11 Oct
2019, Graeme Wall remarked:
I expect the second most common reason is some financial disaster

which "losing your job and having to get a new one, some miles
away"Â* falls into

It's the *having* to move which is the disaster. Sometimes it's
possibleÂ* to get a job locally, or rely on a joint breadwinner, or
have a longerÂ* daily commute, or even a weekly commute.

Oh stop moving the goalposts
Â*I'm simply pointing out that that circumstances under discussion are
really quite rare. And have to be pretty dire to uproot the family
fromÂ* their schools, friends, etc.

You don't know anybody in the services then, or even some civil
service jobs.Â* You get posted from one end of the country to another
or abroad, commuting is out of the question. I moved school several
times, three junior schools and two secondaries, in three different
countries.

I do know people who have been through that experience. It's not that
common though. And obviously isn't involuntary, which the scenarios
discussed so far have been.

What is not involuntary about it? If you are in the army you can't turn
down a posting.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.