Old June 23rd 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Velvet Velvet is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

In ,
Velvet typed:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
It's not just about driving too close to the car in front, there's
always the idiot that swerves into your path as an oncoming, or the
one that pulls out right in front from the side junction *despite*
the fact that you saw him look at (or was it *through* you)...

Isn't that to say that otherwise you would have eased off the accelerator
when passing the oncoming car or the mouth of the junction. That's certainly
what my copy of the HMSO's /Driving/ advises as best practice. In that case
you may well have swallowed or more than swallowed the benefit of the ABS in
the additional speed.

Um, no. Round here in the south east (london) if you did that at every
junction or oncoming car you'd be doing a grand 0mph in very short
order, unfortunately.

--

Velvet