Old June 23rd 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Just zis Guy, you know? Just zis Guy, you know? is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

PeterE wrote:

So do you think the roads would be, overall, safer, if all signs
(say except direction signs) and lining schemes were removed?

Probably depends on the location. Some roads have been made safer by
doing just that. Certianly the experience where roads have been
treated with lots of paint and signage has often been that drivers
simply speed up and the crash rate remains unchanged.

Hmm, bit of a weasel answer, that one. I suspect when put on the spot
you'd find reasons for keeping most of the signs - those round white
ones with a red border and black numbers on them in particular ;-)

No, a straight answer. Speed limit signs are, of course, not present in the
first place in the places this has been tried, being either restricted roads
or NSL.

--
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk