Old October 22nd 19, 03:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default Orion 769 Flex cargo services into Liverpool St

tim... wrote:

"Anna Noyd-Dryver" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 22/10/2019 11:35, tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message

https://www.ft.com/content/c2b51fd2-f19f-11e9-ad1e-4367d8281195?segmentId=080b04f5-af92-ae6f-0513-095d44fb3577

One of the Britain’s busiest railway stations is set to take on a new
role
as a freight hub as part of a plan to shuttle goods to central London
from
a container port using old passenger trains.

Have I understood this right?

someone is going to take a container of stuff from the port

transfer the contents of it onto a converted passenger carriage
individual "units" at a time, presumably through side door(s)

and then at the other end empty the passenger carriage by individual
units onto little trucks

Actually into vans

What size of individual unit is this going to work for?

Pallets

the problem with pallets is they presumably need to be fork lifted

and you aren't going to be able to load up a train carriage through a
couple
of side doors (even if you widen them) using fork lifts, you'd need flat
wagons for that

You’ve never seen pallets being wheeled around supermarkets etc on one of
these?

https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/558/55833_2000x2000.jpg

yeah, In an earlier life I occasionally got to "drive" one

but I think their load is far more limited compared with a fork lift

2.5 tonnes according to the various images at the top of the first page of
a google search.

And. of course, they will only deliver the bottom pallet of a stack

How high do you think they’ll be stacked within a train carriage?

Anna Noyd-Dryver