Old October 24th 19, 01:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Sam Wilson Sam Wilson is offline

Default Orion 769 Flex cargo services into Liverpool St

On 2019-10-22 12:43:57 +0000, Anna Noyd-Dryver said:

tim... wrote:

the problem with pallets is they presumably need to be fork lifted

and you aren't going to be able to load up a train carriage through a couple
of side doors (even if you widen them) using fork lifts, you'd need flat
wagons for that

You’ve never seen pallets being wheeled around supermarkets etc on one of
these?

https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/558/55833_2000x2000.jpg

Some lorries (and, I think, many aircraft) are fitted with handling
systems in the floor for allowing loads to be shifted around without
having to run a vehicle inside the cargo space. The ones in trucks
were known as 'jo-loaders' when had student summer jobs, but that was
some time ago and I can't find many references to that term now.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.