Old June 23rd 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Gawnsoft Gawnsoft is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:31:47 +0100, Clive
wrote (more or less):

In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?"
writes
It is a commonly held view, and it is responsible for risk
compensation behaviour which means that overall what advantage there is
is consumed as a performance benefit. As ever.

This is like saying "replace the airbag with a six inch steel spike."
the driver will be much more careful, though I not sure any safer.

Depend swhat you mean by 'safer'.

'Less likely to be involved in a fatality' is different from 'less
likely to die him/herself'
--
Cheers,
Euan