Old November 25th 19, 03:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Jobsworth driver

"Bevan Price" wrote in message
Dependent on the extent of their route knowledge, drivers may need to know
the locations of dozens of stations, numerous signals and speed
restrictions - at daylight - in good or bad visibility, or at night - and
then need to be able to judge the best places to apply brakes - often on
several types of unit - and in all sorts of weather conditions. In
addition, they need to be prepared for short term temporary speed limits.

So it is not as easy as you might think.

I have nothing but admiration for train drivers, having to remember the
route to a much greater extent than a driver of a car or lorry who are able
to stop in much shorter distances and who drive largely by sight - it is
considered safe for a car to be driven on a road that the driver has never
seen before, without "route knowledge".

I have enough difficulty remembering the *order* and *spacing* of landmarks
and hazards on a route that I drive frequently. I can remember *what* they
are, but not necessarily where or how far apart. And that's because there is
no need to remember them, because I'm driving according to what I can see is
safe ahead.

It's probably a memory skill that is similar to a London cabbie's
"knowledge": fewer junctions but much more detailed knowledge of braking
points and gradients.