Old November 25th 19, 09:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default Jobsworth driver

wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 16:23:24 +0000
Bevan Price wrote:
On 25/11/2019 11:43, wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 11:55:09 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
The test for a commercial vehicle is a LOT harder than a car. You don't get

away with many mistakes and the test enviroment is a lot more varied. Kev

and

Trace might scrape through driving their corsa a bit erratically on a car
test
but they'd be failed in minutes on an HGV or bus test.

And yet with the same breath you dismiss train driving as 'pulling levers'.
Surely you realise that the train driving assessment is just as strict, if
not more so?

I can imagine being a steam locomotive driver was a bugger of a job.

Physically
hard and you had to get the feel of the engine under different loads. I

suspect
driving a modern freight loco is still tricky (although not physically) as

you
could be just driving the loco itself or have 2000 tons behing you.

Driving a computer controlled EMU though that won't allow you to play silly
buggers with the throttle and brake, doesn't change much in behaviour from
empty to full load, doesn't have to be steered and when it goes wrong needs
a technician with a laptop to turn up anyway? Don't tell me thats

particularly
hard.

Seems to me the only hard part of being a modern EMU driver is the shift work

aspect of the job, other than that - piece of ****.

Nonsense. I have never driven a real train, but I was once allowed to
drive a dmu simulator. The most difficult part was knowing when / where
to apply the brakes for checks or station stops. And that involved just
one check and one (simulated) station.

So? A bit of practice and no doubt it becomes 2nd nature.

Dependent on the extent of their route knowledge, drivers may need to
know the locations of dozens of stations, numerous signals and speed
restrictions - at daylight - in good or bad visibility, or at night -
and then need to be able to judge the best places to apply brakes -
often on several types of unit - and in all sorts of weather conditions.
In addition, they need to be prepared for short term temporary speed limits.

And thats different to the experience of driving a road vehicle how exactly?

How much 'practice' do you think you'll need to drive a ~600 tonne object
which takes over a mile to stop, at up to 125mph in 50 yard visibility fog,
without losing time, over 700 miles of route?

Anna Noyd-Dryver