Old November 26th 19, 07:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default Jobsworth driver

Richard wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 19:35:03 +0000, Charles Ellson
wrote:

On 24 Nov 2019 13:51:40 GMT, Marland
wrote:

Boltar may be a natural at vehicle handling which not all people are so the
physical driving was ticked off on the first day, the rest were spent
learning what the ringing sound was as the bus approached a stop.

Not in London then where you get ****s ringing the bell 0.1sec after
the bus has left the previous stop.

Better than ringing it too late IMO. Or ringing it when someone else
has already done it

If someone rings it immediately after departure from the previous stop, I
can see the logic in ringing it again on approach to the stop, in case the
driver has forgotten in the meantime.

- why does the device not suppress that

Until fairly recently they were very simple devices - either some
electrical contacts and a bell, or an air pressure operated device. Adding
something to make it only ring once would be unnecessary complication.

And points deducted from Alexander Dennis, who as well as making the
most rattling new buses in the world, provide them with the sound of
the *starting* signal when you press the bell.

Considering how rarely there is a requirement to give a starting signal by
bell code on a modern bus, I'd suggest that giving more than just one short
ding (which may be easily missed depending what else is going on) is a good
idea. The buses round my way give three dings of two different tones.

Anna Noyd-Dryver