Old June 24th 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Page Clive Page is offline

Default Bottled water on tube

In article , Richard J.
writes
I believe so, and I find that a request for "une carafe d'eau" is
accepted more willingly in France than asking for tap water in an
English restaurant. I have never been charged for tap water in either
country, though I once found a restaurant (Old Siam in Reading) that
refused to serve it.

I think things have changed recently in the UK: I've never been keen on
paying for bottled water (except in countries where the tap water is
unsafe) but often used to get dirty looks in British restaurants when
asking for a jug of tap water while ordering my bottle of wine. In the
last month or two that has stopped, and a few times I've even be asked
if I want a jug of water (even iced water, maybe that's the effect of
American tourists?).

I suspect the recent scandals concerning impurities in bottled water
have finally had a beneficial effect.

--
Clive Page