Old November 27th 19, 07:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Richard[_3_] Richard[_3_] is offline

Default Jobsworth driver

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 20:17:22 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
wrote:

Richard wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 19:35:03 +0000, Charles Ellson
wrote:

On 24 Nov 2019 13:51:40 GMT, Marland
wrote:

Boltar may be a natural at vehicle handling which not all people are so the
physical driving was ticked off on the first day, the rest were spent
learning what the ringing sound was as the bus approached a stop.

Not in London then where you get ****s ringing the bell 0.1sec after
the bus has left the previous stop.

Better than ringing it too late IMO. Or ringing it when someone else
has already done it

If someone rings it immediately after departure from the previous stop, I
can see the logic in ringing it again on approach to the stop, in case the
driver has forgotten in the meantime.

All good points of course. Perhaps in the case of a premature ding
I'll allow it...

- why does the device not suppress that

Until fairly recently they were very simple devices - either some
electrical contacts and a bell, or an air pressure operated device. Adding
something to make it only ring once would be unnecessary complication.

Yes, but the 'technology' is already in use to turn on a light and
turn it off when the doors open -- on the dash, a basic display or in
the civilised world, something better. The only possible reason I can
think of to allow it to ring again would be a different noise for
upstairs/downstairs, or to allow passengers to indicate some sort of
distress, which is more usually done now by taking a video of it and
uploading it somewhere and even with 5G you might miss the next stop
by the time you've added the necessary animal ears.

And points deducted from Alexander Dennis, who as well as making the
most rattling new buses in the world, provide them with the sound of
the *starting* signal when you press the bell.

Considering how rarely there is a requirement to give a starting signal by
bell code on a modern bus, I'd suggest that giving more than just one short
ding (which may be easily missed depending what else is going on) is a good
idea. The buses round my way give three dings of two different tones.

I'm sure you're right that the answer is never. Still, perhaps it's
Pavlovian. I'm not old enough (and I can't say that much these days)
to have known conductors where I grew up, and so that noise to me is
such a London thing. It's just... *wrong*.

Richard.