Old December 9th 19, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Latest Heathrow master plan

In message , at 16:00:40 on Mon, 9 Dec 2019,
tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:19:42 on Sun, 8 Dec
2019, remarked:
On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 15:49:26 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:54:39 on Wed, 19 Jun
2019, tim... remarked:

[route for the M25]

The only disruption will come at the end, when the traffic is
diverted to the new route. My guess is that the northbound traffic
will be moved first, with a few weeks of lane 1 closures required
while they connect the new to the old carriageways, then an
overnight closure for the final switch to be made. The same
procedure would then be followed a few months later to divert the
southbound carriageway to the new alignment.

The amount of work you would be expecting them to do "overnight"
beggars
belief.

I disagree.

Build the two new carriageways. At each end, cut them off very
close to
the edge of northbound lane 1 (there's no hard shoulder, right?
if there
is, adjust description accordingly).

Cone off northbound lane 1. Spend a week or two filling in the narrow
gap between the old and new northbounds at each end.

Not sure that you even need a closure to switch over. Simply move all
the cones.

Repeat for the southbound (though this time you're closing lane 4).

Yes, that's what I'm expecting.

I have never in my life seen construction companies do this

For once I agree with Tim.

While it's not quite the M25, the A14 is one of the busiest dual
carriageways in the country.

They've recently finished (ahead of schedule) building the green-fields
bypass round the southwest of Huntingdon, and now just need to splice it
onto the old road towards Cambridge and the M11.

And don't the local residents know it. I have some relatives who live in a
village near there. 2 years ago it was lovely green fields down the road
from their house , now theres a bloody dual carraigeway with all the
accompanying noise and pollution they'll soon have to enjoy to follow
on from
all the construction work. All so trucks can save 10 mins on their
way from
Felixstow instead of putting the containers on trains where they
should be.

Nobody cares how much the time the trucks save, it's mainly for the
cars caught up in jams along with other cars. There's negligible HGV
container traffic on that flow anyway, it's one of the enduring local
urban myths.

When I say negligible, I mean you can count the number you see in
fifteen minutes on that extremely busy dual carriageway, on the
fingers of one hand.

Of course people buying into that urban myth were recently joined by
the majority describing the truck full of deceased vietnamese
migrants as a "refrigerated container", when it's nothing of the
sort. It's a trailer, and we don't put those onto trains.

you seem to be arguing that trucks hauling trailers, as opposed to flat
beds with a container on top, are somehow different on their effect to
other road users

don't see that distinction myself

The distinction is whether or not they can be abstracted from the road
by sticking them on a train.