Old December 10th 19, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Latest Heathrow master plan

In message , at 12:55:29 on Tue, 10 Dec
2019, tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 18:45:13 on Mon, 9 Dec
2019, tim... remarked:

you seem to be arguing that trucks hauling trailers, as opposed to
flat beds with a container on top, are somehow different on their
effect to other road users

don't see that distinction myself

The distinction is whether or not they can be abstracted from the
road by sticking them on a train.

for me, the distinction was the fact that you claimed it's an urban
myth that there's a minimal number of "containers" using road

No, I said it was an urban myth that *more* than a handful of
containers were using the road.

you need to explain how that's not the same thing

Because the public apparently look at curtain sided HGVs with UK
domestic brand logos, and identify it as a container that's arrived
from the Far East at Felixstowe (and should be on a train)

Most people won't distinguish between containers and trailers

they are both annoying vehicles to have surrounding you and they have
both come off the ferry.

Not off the container ships. And probably not off the completely
separate RORO ferries. If you look at the HGVs on the A14 they are
predominately domestic-domestic.

even if they are, they are still using that route as a proxy for M25/A1
that they used to use

What has that got to do with moving containers onto rail?

trying to tell people that "there aren't many containers off the
ferry" without making it clear that you aren't counting most of the
trucks because they are trailers, is daft

See above; I wasn't claiming that.

still don't see it

What's "it"? Containers on the A14, in which case I'll agree with you.