Old December 15th 19, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Latest Heathrow master plan

On 15/12/2019 13:34, Robin wrote:
On 15/12/2019 11:42, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 15/12/2019 10:44, Robin wrote:
On 15/12/2019 10:25, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 15/12/2019 09:19, Robin wrote:
On 14/12/2019 21:55, Graeme Wall wrote:

Actually the replacement rate is about 2.4 children per couple to
allow for infertility, , infant mortality, gay couples and those
who just don't want children. Currently the average is nearer 1.8
so in the long term the population of this country is going to
shrink fairly rapidly. The downside is the population is getting
older. It's a phenomenon that is being repeated across the world
as people get better educated and the religious ties are loosened.

I don't know what you mean by "long term" but the ONS project the
population of the UK continuing to increase through to 2043.

After the middle of the century as the offspring of the baby boomers
start to die out and the influence of effective contraception took
hold from the mid 1960s onward.

Thanks for calibrating "long term".

While you may of course be right I'll merely note that the
statisticians at Eurostat do not agree.Â* They project the UK
population continuing to increase (albeit more slowly) through to 2100.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/po...ta/main-tables

A quick look at the fertility table shows the rate in the UK varying
from a low of 1.27 in inner London to a high of 1.97 in outer London
for 2017. The general trend is consistently falling across the country
over the 5 year period on the chart.

I'm unclear if you are saying Eurostat have made mistakes in their
projections of population growth continuing through to 2100. All I know
is that fertility is not the only factor.

Just saying those figures are of the same order as the ones I derived
from the New Scientist report on population changes a few months back.
They will, inevitably, lead to a decline in the population in the long
term. Defining that long term is a bit woolly but I would think the
Eurostat projections are a mite pessimistic.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.