Old January 21st 20, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard[_3_] Richard[_3_] is offline

Default Front-boarding only for BBs

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 14:58:45 +0000, Ian Clifton
wrote:

Recliner writes:
You might be interested in how contemporary trams switch routes with
points in the overhead wires:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57657326035738

The trams seem to have the same type of pick?up as the trolley buses.

An image search shows Riga trams with either of the usual options,
single-wire trolley pole or pantograph.

Is
it possible to combine pantograph pick?ups with trolley buses? I’m just
trying to visualise it, the two cable systems would have to be at
slightly different levels, I suppose.

You can see it in Zurich, the wires are side-by-side where necessary,
with the trolley wires offset from the centre. They are at the same
level, necessarily, where they cross and I suppose everywhere else.

There is even a railway/trolleybus crossing on the S10, which is OK
while the line is electrified with a DC supply, but there were plans
to standardise on AC so I hope they'll test everything! (Because that
line is parallel to an AC line in places, there are two contact wires
there as well with the DC pantograph offset.)

Richard.