Old June 26th 04, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Dulieu Steve Dulieu is offline

Default Picc derailment at Hammersmith

"Sharon & Gordon Thomson" wrote in
message ...

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
TfL website:
The Piccadilly Line has no service between Acton Town Station and

Hyde
Park Corner Station in both directions.

Where do trains which terminate at Hyde Park Corner switch from Southbound
to Northbound tracks for their return journey? What is the highest level

of
frequency that can be provided north of Hyde Park Corner in circumstances
where all trains are turning back at Hyde Park Corner?

What was happening today was that all trains were tipping out at Green Park.
They were then running empty to Hyde Park Corner where the driver changed
ends in the westbound platform and then reversed back east over the
crossover, effectively using HPC WB platform as a reversing siding. Given
that we only ever ran 17 or so trains on the CKHPC bit of the line, this
didn't cause any problems with blocking back. Had we needed to, we could
have increased our reversing capacity by using Down Street, but as far as I
know the need didn't arise.
As for highest frequency of reversers at HPC, a good rule of thumb is to
take the time allowed for the T/Op to change ends (four minutes) plus one
for luck and call it one train every five minutes, or 12tph. BTW for all you
trainspotters, track bashers and other railway enthusiasts, from a trainside
operating POV the Piccadilly line *never* runs north south, it only ever
runs east west (no matter which point of the compass the leading cab is
actually facing).
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.